I guess most of us can easily recognize the lines:
"Ek ladki bheegi bhaagi si,
Soti raaton me jaagi si..
Mili ek ajnabi se, koi aage na peeche
Tum hi kaho ye koi baat hai"
(sung by Kishore Kumar, from the movie 'Chalti Ka Naam Gadi')
Such was the magic of old songs. The lines are etched deeply inside our mind. We can hum them any time, at any place, and even we (the non-singers) don't sound unmelodious.
I can't help but think, where has the magic of bollywood songs disappeared?
The routine with most of the new songs is like this: you get to hear them 2 months before the release of the movie, then you listen them over and over, they are so awesome. Then slowly you get bored of them. After its 2 months the movie was released, you can't bear the same songs played even once. If your friends play it, you tell them to change it or lower the volume.
As if music was akin to the latest trends in fashion, that come quickly, and slip out even more quickly.
Yet, there are some exceptions. I can listen to the songs from recent years, like 'Allah k bande', 'Roobaroo', and 'Hey shona' a million times and I wouldn't be a bit bored. But such melodies are becoming increasingly rare.
Right now, I can't tolerate hearing a Desi Boyz's song which was played on loop on my netbook once.
Sigh!
"Ek ladki bheegi bhaagi si,Soti raaton me jaagi si..
Mili ek ajnabi se, koi aage na peeche
Tum hi kaho ye koi baat hai"
(sung by Kishore Kumar, from the movie 'Chalti Ka Naam Gadi')
Such was the magic of old songs. The lines are etched deeply inside our mind. We can hum them any time, at any place, and even we (the non-singers) don't sound unmelodious.
I can't help but think, where has the magic of bollywood songs disappeared?
The routine with most of the new songs is like this: you get to hear them 2 months before the release of the movie, then you listen them over and over, they are so awesome. Then slowly you get bored of them. After its 2 months the movie was released, you can't bear the same songs played even once. If your friends play it, you tell them to change it or lower the volume.
As if music was akin to the latest trends in fashion, that come quickly, and slip out even more quickly.Yet, there are some exceptions. I can listen to the songs from recent years, like 'Allah k bande', 'Roobaroo', and 'Hey shona' a million times and I wouldn't be a bit bored. But such melodies are becoming increasingly rare.
Right now, I can't tolerate hearing a Desi Boyz's song which was played on loop on my netbook once.
Sigh!
ha hah..a good post. It is the case with most contemporary songs. While I am not a big fan of Hindi music, I love old songs because of my parents. I really detest the new dinchak Bollywood numbers that musicians produce because they don't have any substance to them
ReplyDeleteThanx Akansha..I too came to love old songs becoz of my Dad. He is a big fan of Kishore Kumar & Mohd Rafi :)
DeletePopular music and true creative music are not the same. I totally agree with you. Take a song like Kolaveri which has captured global attention. How long do you think its popularity will last. Yet, look at the Bollywood classics of Kishore or Rafi, or Geeta Dutt and Asha and Lata. They are going to last for ever. The same applies to music of all genres. The music of Thyagaraj and Beethoven has lasted centuries. Unfortunately we live in times of instant gratification, where a film has to make its money in the first week, and songs have a lifespan of a few months.
ReplyDelete