‘Books vs. Cigarettes’ is the title of an essay by George Orwell; written half a century ago. He compared the average amount spent by people on cigarettes (given the loads of money people spend on smoking and drinking every year) vs. that on books; to come to the veritable conjecture that people percieve reading to be an expensive hobby. But it’s not. Now it is even cheaper than ever; with e-books.
Plus it’s better than other forms of entertainment. I am talking about the movies. Unless you are a fan of parallel cinema of the 80's and watch meaningful movies once in a while, movies are a waste of time. I don’t hate or boycott movies altogether; there are a few great movies worth watching every year. While most others are blatantly commercial. Same applies for TV.
Hence, it’s not Illiteracy, but Aliteracy that is the concern for the future. Wikipedia defines Aliteracy as the state of being able to read, but uninterested in doing so. The definition is very apt, and this is a thing that I have observed as happening to most of my friends.
People can spend 500 bucks here and there without feeling a glitch; but they don't find reading a hobby worth its time and money. Reading books is seen as an effort, so other recreations take precedence.
Reading books is a hobby well worth its time. Books are entertainment plus knowledge.
I am an admitted book lover. I read the classics before I finished school, gorged on all bestselling novels, and read a non-fiction book every now and then. I therefore find it sad that there are not many people in my circle with whom I can discuss books and authors; without me being labeled as a bookworm.

HI there my dear writer ,
ReplyDeleteI think u right human needs
1) Working thread of brain
2) curiosity.
3) effort
3) time
but let me think about explaining through some examples.
Part 1 :- when i was child and i first read a poem/chapters of my book or lines.It hardly knock my head.I still remember when i was child and i was facing difficulty in maths multiplication and also can see its value as why we using it, even if the book had a tree diagram on it explaining the multiplication. when my mother was teaching me she tried to explain me again and again.but i couldnt get it. So she asked my sister to bring nuts from kitchen.She then explained me by giving examples of nut seeds.she arranged it in row of 3 X 9 and asked me how many nuts are there.I counted one by one and said "27". then she asked me to count rows and columns.i said 3 rows and 9 columns.she said "ok".and whats the multiplication of 3 X 7.i said 27. here is ur answer now you know why we using it.Now eat all and count.it is still 27 :) .
Well here is my conclusion human mind has so many threads of working.For Some work by words ,some work by images and practical examples.What they see.No matter what all brain works 24 X 7 X 365 X by size of life / infinity.Well people spend 500 for they are really really good at images , relations and many more.And there brain works effortlessly at this direction.
Part 2: People see hardly any point in reading stories, when they can complete every quest in three hours film.And with detail images.
Part 3: To read and understand at same time, is dual work to do.
And human beings love to go for single and straight forward work.Two things are kind of tedious job.
part 4. The part of brain which works more we become habitat of it and that works effortlessly."Websites are new replacements of Books".So Half of world of books cut down to short stories, articles.I think its human nature.And readers like you are endangered species.
last but not least ,Also I am being able to read my syllabus but uninterested in doing so :( , hardly could understand any thing in it ...:) , Same for my exam paper Evaluator they read my answer sheet but uninterested in doing so ............... and many more....... Aliteracy.
Thnx for the lengthy comment..I know its real hard work..I disagree with you in one thing, watching movies is a completely different experience than reading, so they shouldn't be compared..
ReplyDeletewell yes but it is all working of human mind, no matter whatever u do , u cant deny it
ReplyDeletenot to worry about hard work i have a habit of logging in many websites and do my time pass ....................................... got all the time of world to do whatever not required to do.
ReplyDelete