I obsessively check FB every 30 min. And read every mail just when it arrives. While staying connected is the norm now, I feel am loosing focus coz of it.
I am longing for the days when I had got my first cellphone, a MotoFlip. It was the prettiest thing, a precious asset. Although there was no gprs, no push mail, no memory card, and it only had a radio and memory for 100 messages only, I was contended.
Now, with mind-boggling choices of phones, tabs, and what-nots..I'm still searching for the best phone acc to my needs and pocket.
Every time I buy one, my happiness is short lived, as its next-and-upgraded version is launched. Can't keep up with the latest gadget.
The no's are getting more daunting. From 2 megapixel to 3.2-to-5-to-8 and now 12 megapixels! Do I really need that much resolution? Don't think so. Some of my best college memories were captured with a 2 MP not-so-great Nokia camera, but are without doubt the most brilliant pics ever.
Is it some kind of race? Of nos, apps, OS's and brands? Whatever it is, there's one thing I know for sure that gadgets can be of help as well as be the biggest time-wasters there can be.
I am longing for the days when I had got my first cellphone, a MotoFlip. It was the prettiest thing, a precious asset. Although there was no gprs, no push mail, no memory card, and it only had a radio and memory for 100 messages only, I was contended.
Now, with mind-boggling choices of phones, tabs, and what-nots..I'm still searching for the best phone acc to my needs and pocket.
Every time I buy one, my happiness is short lived, as its next-and-upgraded version is launched. Can't keep up with the latest gadget.
The no's are getting more daunting. From 2 megapixel to 3.2-to-5-to-8 and now 12 megapixels! Do I really need that much resolution? Don't think so. Some of my best college memories were captured with a 2 MP not-so-great Nokia camera, but are without doubt the most brilliant pics ever.
Is it some kind of race? Of nos, apps, OS's and brands? Whatever it is, there's one thing I know for sure that gadgets can be of help as well as be the biggest time-wasters there can be.
True!
ReplyDeletetechnology changes life and along with it many things change...nostalgia.. you remind me of my first cellphone...
ReplyDeletetrue! and i dedicated dis post to my first cellphone...;)
Deleteyep..n i read d above post..ur writing is awesum...:)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI remember my first cell phone was a Nokia 3310. Yes, am that ancient :) My cousin gifted it to me in my third year of engineering, and back then there were only a few of us with phones. From the moment it entered my life, the biggest problem was that my parents could reach me wherever, whenever :D Technology has made it so easy to connect and yet taken away a lot of the freedom we enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteGood job with expressing your thoughts Nupur. Keep at it. And thank you for following me. I'm following you back!
your experience reminds me of a dialogue from pyar ka punchnama: 'katai ghatiya invention hai ye mobile'..parents and bf can keep track..dats y..:P
Deleteyou're welcome..keep reading..:)
you write with a lot of honesty. liked this post :)
ReplyDeleteyou can never keep up with the upgraded versions that come up almost everyday.
Nupur, its a big conspiracy. My tattered bank account bears testimony to the rapacious hunger of the hardware,camera equipment and mobile handset manufacturers.
ReplyDeletereally could identify with this post. the irony of our times is that we identify our selves with our gadgets. friends and family evaluate us based on what gadget we use or possess. the manufacturers continuously remind us that the gadget we bought last year is no longer the gadget to be seen with. honestly, i refuse to be equated with my OS.
ReplyDeleteI use a dumb phone. a phone that is capable of only doing what a phone is expected to do. and i love it. however, as a writer and a professional, i customize all my work for mobile devices. just because my phone is dumb doesn't mean i cannot be smart.
true!! you're very brave to use a dumbphone, you have fought the addiction these 'smartphones' can bring, smartphone can dumb us down :(
Deletei've stopped using my mobile-camera since when i don't even remember! and now the latest thing that has ceased is my use of the internet on my cellphone.. why? i have a laptop to use it in! gosh.. its when u don't use em, you realize that how much we depend on it, and how most of that dependence is silly and redundant.. or maybe being plain lazy! nicely written nupur.. as always, you write your heart out, total honest stuff! :)
ReplyDeletethank you :)
Deletenicely put 'most of the dependence is silly and redundant'...
agreed..but the fine boundary between making right use of a gadget and getting addicted to it isn't always visible..
ReplyDelete