Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spare My Ears from Your Hello Tune, Please!


I wrote part of this when the Hello Tunes were a new feature.  Suddenly everybody was happy to part with 30 bucks to get a Hello Tunes subscription. As the witty people at Airtel said: “Greet every caller with a song of your choice. Now when your friends call you, they will no longer have to hear that boring old 'tring tring' ”

Yeah, BUT WE DON’T WANT TO LISTEN TO THE HELLO TUNE EITHER! PLEASE PICK UP THE CALL!

Now the trend has died down somewhat, but every now and then I get to listen to some amazing(!!) Hello Tunes. And a few funny experiences come to my mind:
My room’s tube-light is broke. So I call my hostel’s warden at her cell-phone. I am greeted by the song: “Aisi deewangi..dekhi nahi kabhi..”. Yep, I admit this is a really nice song. But I wonder why the 50-year old lady is forcing people like me to listen to the  love songs of her generation?
I call the nearby hotel for parcel, and am listening to “Bas ek sanam chahiye, aashiqui k liye”. Gosh, is he serving the clients or looking for his long last love, who will somehow get his no, suddenly realize how much he loves  her and run away or something?
I call a childhood friend of mine, and I hear this song, “Na aaye ho, na aaoge..na phone pe bulaoge..” Yep, I instantly got the message, that she must have had a break up. But don’t her parents call at the same no? How does she explain it to them? Here’s somebody whose advice would come handy someday. :P
The broker I called when I was searching for a flat, had the hellotune, of some bhajan. Yep, its good, we understand your feelings towards God, but just don’t irritate me by making me listen to the bhajans. I am not going to turn into a devotee overnight!
Then there are friends who change their Hello Tune to the latest hit song from Emraan Hashmi movie. I don’t get the logic, if I had called to talk, why are you making me listen to the songs? I have them in my phone, I can listen to them whenever I wish.
Like all temporary fads, this one’s too going to be forgotten soon. But for the time being, the songs which were once my favorites have become a nuisance now; thanks to Mobile companies and Hello Tunes.  



No comments:

Post a Comment