Flashback to last year, I didn't feel I could write something that people might want to read. So even when I wrote I kept it under the wraps. So that nobody laughed at me. But last year, encouraged by Ritu and Sid, I was finally able to sum up the courage to tell others that yes, I do write.
2012 has been critical in taking out this fear from my mind. Not only did I begin writing more, I started blogging, took up a content writing job for a month, and got published in Youth Eye.
Over these months I have heard some funny reactions when I told people that I write. While the questions like 'Write what?' and 'Why write?' seemed to show genuine curiosity; other comments weren't always kind. Initially, I had deleted my blog twice when I read some not-so-generous comments from unknown surfers.
The funny incident that happened when I first showed the magazine to my family, they scoffed at the cover page, which displayed a model wearing a low cut dress. 'You write in that????' was the reaction. They had asked me to bring two extra copies of the magazine to keep but then they didn't keep it.
'Woh sab to thik hai, lekin engineering aur writing ka kuch connection samajh me nahi aaya?', an interviewer of asked me. If only I knew it myself, I thought. I don't really know or care about the reasons of my actions much. As long as there is some action taking place, its fine.
The best one I've heard is..'Achcha time pass hai..' ROFL..:p
'Are you considering a career in writing?' Nope. It will always complement my career. But nobody can anticipate whats lies in the future isn't it? ;)
2012 has been critical in taking out this fear from my mind. Not only did I begin writing more, I started blogging, took up a content writing job for a month, and got published in Youth Eye.
Over these months I have heard some funny reactions when I told people that I write. While the questions like 'Write what?' and 'Why write?' seemed to show genuine curiosity; other comments weren't always kind. Initially, I had deleted my blog twice when I read some not-so-generous comments from unknown surfers.
The funny incident that happened when I first showed the magazine to my family, they scoffed at the cover page, which displayed a model wearing a low cut dress. 'You write in that????' was the reaction. They had asked me to bring two extra copies of the magazine to keep but then they didn't keep it.
'Woh sab to thik hai, lekin engineering aur writing ka kuch connection samajh me nahi aaya?', an interviewer of asked me. If only I knew it myself, I thought. I don't really know or care about the reasons of my actions much. As long as there is some action taking place, its fine.
The best one I've heard is..'Achcha time pass hai..' ROFL..:p
'Are you considering a career in writing?' Nope. It will always complement my career. But nobody can anticipate whats lies in the future isn't it? ;)
Hey, I can relate! :) nice one..
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteHi Nupur!
ReplyDeleteFirst time here. I too am an Engineer turned Writer - and oh boy!! Do we get the questions, comments and raised eyebrows or wht!Yes the "time pass" one is common but my worst one was "So how much should you write to earn good amount!?" Arrgh!
Welcome to my blog Anne! I always pass that money-wala question..with a customary dialogue 'i don't write for money, its my passion'. The writers, know better..so they never ask each other..
Delete