Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Bookwala Knows More Than Me...

I was scanning books at a cart on Nagpur station. I had nothing else to do till the train's arrival. I asked the bookwala to give me Paulo Coelho's The Zahir. He pointed to another book and said 'Read this one, The Aleph. Its the latest.' Then he recited the titles in rest of Paulo Coelho's series, namely Veronica, Fifth Mountain, Pilgrimage and Alchemist.

Wow. I had never expected him to be so well-acquainted with books.

A similar kind of incident had happened with me when I went to a second-hand book market. The vendor began suggesting reference books by foreign authors for every subject of my current sem till I felt ashamed that I didn't even recognize half of the names he cited.

Hmmm..so much for guidance on books.

Sent from my Nokia E6

8 comments:

  1. I often buy books from the bookseller in M.G road next to Dorabjee's. I was astonished when after by first visit to him, he remebered what kind of books I like and suggested few of the most memorable books I have read.
    Even Jeffery Archer visited his book stall on roadside there and remembered his favorites too :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah :) they are like an aero mechanic who never owns a aeroplane :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. we tend to underestimate people, intentionally or unintentionally. we don't what they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do their homework before opening shop :-)
    But frankly speaking it is the ones without a degree or a diploma who has more knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well said..perhaps i never did my homework before going shopping...;)

      Delete
  5. They have to know 'cause this is the way they earn their living...they are the masters in the trade, and thus will know more than us :-)

    ReplyDelete