Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Pilgrimage of A Young Writer V

(The story so far)

Arthur McDeere was sipping his coffee while reading the newspaper when the bell rang. He hated visitors. Change of schedule. At 80, you don't like random changes to daily routine. He slowly rose from his easy chair with displeasure, and opened the door.

A girl stood at the door. She was thin, and seemed around 18. She had a satchel hanging from one shoulder.
'Hello sir! I am a great fan of yours. I have kept your book that I got as a birthday present when I was 12. It was that novel that made me fall in love with fiction.
Last year, I thought I could write too. I have finished the book. But I want you to read the first draft. You're my first reader.'

McDeere glanced at the girl giddy with emotion. And he was suddenly filled with generosity. The day felt lighter again. All problems swept away.

'I have been writing since I was 17. I have recieved many awards. But it is for these moments, when a true fan comes up to me and shows his dedication, I feel blessed to have chosen writing as my vocation.'

You are wondering what happened to our young writer? Well, she went on to create raving successes in writing. All because she had not forgotten to complete her pilgrimage.

Its when we don't forget our mentors, that we progress.

5 comments:

  1. Loved the short story! do keep writing!

    Btw, i found you on blogaholic. :)

    firebeneathmyheart.blogspot.com - my blog. do check it out.
    https://www.facebook.com/IllFollowYourBlog - my page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Bhavani :)
    Will check out your blog for sure :)

    ReplyDelete